I am a Belgian anthropologist, assistant professor (‘maître de conférence’) at the University of Nice Sophia-Antipolis (France) since 2007. I graduated in Anthropology at the Free University of Brussels (Belgium) and I received my PhD in 2005 from the Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales (Paris-France). After studying an Afro-Brazilian cult in Belgium during my graduation, I traveled to Brazil where I conducted extensive fieldwork in the Xangô Cult, an Afro-Brazilian possession Cult of the city of Recife, in the North-East Region of Brazil. Since my first ethnographic steps in Afro-Brazilian religions, my research focuses on how religion is learnt, exploring, from an ethnographic perspective, the mutual influence between sensory and emotional dimension of religious experience and its cultural environments.
Since 2017, I am developing a new research in medical anthropology, working with "expert-patients" with a skin disease called psoriasis. My aim is to understand how psoriasis changes the way these persons relate to themselves (body, mind, emotions) and to others in their daily lives, as well as how, through their therapeutic journey, their learn to develop coping strategies despite chronic symptoms.

Arnaud Halloy Homepage

Ma photo
Nice, France
Anthropologist - University of Nice Anthropologue - Université de Nice